
Midnight photo -- a ragtag group after laughing so hard we were crying-- The Office marathon 5/17/08
I do not know what I will do without my Cambridge ladies nights -- bookgroup, movie nights, enrichments, and a recent installment -- The Office marathon. Cambridge will always be a special place for me to remember the camaraderie of women -- where sometimes we throw back to the college days, sometimes we're a little more refined (bookgroup), definitely more worldly (read: married and at times, disgruntled at that), but most of all, we feel free to be ourselves. I was at first hesitant to join bookgroup -- thinking it would be too hard to make friends after being married. Cristie convinced me otherwise (and sometimes still has to coax me to leave the house), and I am so glad she did. You need friends at every point in your life, but at this time when Cort has worked so much, my girlfriends have seen me through. All I have to do is read the blasted book and I get to come (sometimes, not so much reading as sparknotes). Long live bookclub!
I remember being in Nicole's house in Somerville with the old group (and by old, I mean OLD), ordering Thai takeout and Liesl and I trying to convince our pregnant selves that Oreos had some nutritional value for our unborns. I remember being at bookgroup in Kim's house (that is, Kate's house that Kim was renting) laughing so hard I think I tinkled a little. Stacey's house where she made the most exquisite food -- richest chocolate cake ever, and chocolate-covered strawberries, saying farewell to Mary... for six months until they came back to Belmont (phew!). Dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with Cristie and sometimes a friend or two. The baby shower where Keith dressed up as a woman to gain admission to the festivities. Help me think of more, people! Baby showers, late night talk sessions, farewell parties -- they all gave me something to hang on to, a respite I knew I'd get at the end of the week, or the month, etc.
Admittedly, I always end up with a "girls night hangover" the next day -- don't worry, it's the non-drinking version. It's the one where I feel a little embarrassed, think to myself, "Was my comedy a little 'bigger' than normal last night -- and is that even possible?" "Did I really say that? I didn't really mean it. She understands, right?" But I refuse to apologize, because what is said at ladies' nights stays at ladies' nights.
fine print warning to not apologizing, exception: I do apologize to any of you reading this if I deeply offended anyone in the past, or relating to anyone in the group. I apologize if I offended a member of said group member's family, beit current family or family of origin. I apologize if I offended a member of said group's religious, racial, political or social affiliation. Also, do not take Annuale if you plan to ever become pregnant, as it may turn your baby into a firemonster. In the days around your period, you may develop a leathery tail.
6 comments:
Corey - you, my friend - are - hilariously a goofy - goof ball. Hold on tight to your great Cambridge friends - a friend you can Office Marathon with -- is a friend forever - (we're just a bit obsessed with The Office at our house) And if there was a game show created with questions only about The Office - I would win, hands down! I love your fine print disclaimer! And it is great that you've been blessed with Claire to even out all the genetic prowess going on over there - it's great to be girls with your own girl! There's just nothing like it. One of good friends got new tires for her car for Mother's Day - - you're not the only one - and poor Cort didn't have any sisters!!! - - - Brigette
just read that again - One of -my- good friends...
Corey - what are you talking about - we look great in that picture!
I think we should do a ladies nights marathon - every night until you leave. Cort won't mind, right? I am going to need all that laughing to get through the "finishing of the thesis", moving, etc.
Why the disclaimer about Annuale? It works for me! (Which is why I am so sweet most of the year!:)) I miss Girls Night in Cambridge, but am looking forward to one Wed. before graduation - you in??
I am in complete denial about anyone leaving and moving to Albuquerque (Al-boo-Q-Q as Ben says), so while you refuse to apologize, I refuse to acknowledge that our Cambridge Ladies' Nights might be over. No nostalgia here! If I pretend it will last forever, it just might, right?
I miss those girls nights too and I was only "in" for such a short time! You always were a little over the top in the humor department (kidding- that's why I think the world of you- you are so stinkin funny and everyones friend!)
Congrats on finishing to you and Cort!
Post a Comment