Friday, August 8, 2008

where oh where has my little dog gone?

We were searching for the perfect dog... and WE FOUND HER!! A man of amazing personal sacrifice, Cort has given the green light on getting a dog -- as one of my birthday presents. The boys were extremely excited, and I am too, I have to admit. Now, I know all the stuff that goes along with having a dog, and believe me, Cort has spent the first nine years of our marriage adding to the list of 'cons' for getting one, but now we have a family room with a tile floor, we have a big backyard, two willing and able helpers, and we are already walking Ethan to and from school every day, so a dog we shall get! :) The white one with the adorable mug is our new little baby. And the disposition of the pup is so adorable -- she didn't jump on the kids once, and licks faces if theirs get too close to hers. So she's our keeper. We must thank Jakson for encouraging us to get a dog in the first place.




** Also, I am going to have to wax philosophical about the pitfalls of an adult's...er, should I say even more specifically, a mother's birthday. Gone are the days of actually expecting a lot of pomp and circumstance -- I always feebly hope for a charmed day -- a day where the universe aligns and things go smoothly. This year, it suffices to say, that did not happen. I won't get into the details of how wrong my day went, but in general, a mother's birthday is a tricky business. Filled with day-to-day humdrum responsibilities, addressing the many and various whining issues, while trying to eek out a little personal time in the spaces in between, added with the pressure of putting on one's birthday festivities of making the cake, "helping" the kids decorate a little, added with the constant battery of questions: "Aren't you having a great birthday?" "Are you having a fun day?" "Are you so glad it's your birthday today?" At one point, Elliot asked me this question as I was on my hands and knees cleaning up the floor of the backseat of the car because Ethan accidentally spit pop out of his nose while riding in the car. I wanted to sneer, "Yes, I am so glad to clean up the back of my car today -- makes me feel all tingly inside." But instead, I hugged him, and told him, "Yes, it's been great, and I have a feeling it's just going to get better from here." Reminds me of the days of my own mother's birthday: When I couldn't wait for her to open up her presents, to see what I got her -- because I had no idea... I think she picked up her own gifts and wrapped them herself... now, how does that make for an easy day?? But the kids really were of course very sweet -- Ethan wrote me a note with hearts all over it and it said, "Dear Mom, I hope you have a great birthday. You've been a great mom for the last 8 years. Keep it up! I love you. We all appreshiate you. Love, Ethan" Thank you for the well wishers. It felt nice to have a cyber celebration. PS. First song on the playlist, dedicated to Cort. Such a great guy.


3 comments:

Cagney and Laci said...

Yeah a puppy!! What a great present! Puppies are fun but lots of work, good thing yours is so cute!!! Have fun, they bring so much fun and personality into the home!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute puppy! What's her name?? What kind of dog is she?

corey said...

Her name is Poocheena (Pokemon name) and she is a cross between a queensland heeler (sheep dog of sorts), and a beagle, and a Jack Russell Terrier if you can believe it! The vet thinks she is close to 4 months old, and that she'll probably be a little bigger than a cocker spaniel, so that was music to our ears. We shall see, though...